Thursday, September 29, 2011

Video Games in TV: South Park












"Some TV shows just don't get it." Part of a periodical series: Video Games in TV.

I must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if I'm turning to South Park for video games in TV. The season 10 episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft" deviates from the typical formula of video game episodes because it's not a crime drama using video games as the murder mystery, and it's not one of those "trapped in a virtual reality game" cliches. Instead, our heroes---the boys of South Park, Colorado---must stop the killing spree of a high-level, powerful player who has transcended the rules of the game and become stronger than the admins themselves.

There's really not much to say about this episode. I'm sure most gamers have already seen it, and once you watch it all of the jokes make sense. There's no commentary to be had except laughing along with the jokes and nodding in agreement at the satirical portrayal of WOW and its playerbase. I've only played WOW for about 30 minutes one time, but thanks to the Internet and gaming stereotypes, I know everything there is to know about WOW; this episode is accessible to non-gamers a real treat for gamers, thanks to the fidelity of the machinima animation from the in-game models. 

Instead of writing a critique or commentary, I'm just going to post some of the quotes that I found most amusing, along with pictures and things of the like. Continue reading for the quotes.

Oh, and you can click on the images for the full-size version.

Kyle: Wow, look at all these people playing right now!
Cartman: Yeah, it's bullcrap! I'll bet half these guys are Koreans.


Jim: I've gotta get home! My kids are playing WOW right now!
Developer #1: Jim, your kids' characters are already dead.
Jim: No... no... they just started playing!

Developer #3: What kind of person would do this?
Developer #1: Whoever he is, he's played WOW nearly every hour of every day for the past year and a half. Gentlemen, we are dealing with someone who has absolutely no life.
Developer #4: How do you kill, that which has no life?


Randy: In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here, I am Falcorn, defender of the alliance, I've braved the Fargodeep mine, defeated the bloodfish at Jerod's Landing---
[gets stabbed in the back]
Nelson: Hmm, looks like that guy just killed you. [walks away]

Clyde: I'm just gonna stop playing.
Cartman: When Hitler rose to power, there were a lot of people who just stopped playing. You know who those people were? The French. Are you French, Clyde?

Cartman: Butters, what the hell are you doing?
Butters: I got World of Warcraft like you said.
Cartman: You can't be the dwarf character, Butters, I'm the dwarf.
Butters: Well there's only like four races to choose from---
Cartman: So pick another one, I'm the dwarf you stupid asshole!
Butters: I like Hello Kitty: Island Adventure a lot more than this dumb....


Cartman: Alright, Clyde, hit him with your crossbow... hit him now Clyde! Clyde? Clyde! Goddamnit we lost Clyde!

Kyle: Hold on, this fight could last more than 12 hours. What if we run out of food?
Cartman: Don't worry, I have that covered. Mom, more Hot Pockets!
Stan: That's uber cool.

Developer #2: We are looking for a great knight by the name LovesToSpooge.
Randy: That's my son's character's name in Warcraft.
Developer #2: Where is he?
Randy: Who are you?
Developer #1: Sir, we don't have time! We just heard from our admins that your son's party is already in battle! Unless they have this sword, your son's character is going to die.
Randy: Oh my god.


Randy: Stan, Stan! Sharon, where's Stan?!
Sharon: I don't know. He took his computer somewhere to play that stupid online game.
Developer #2: .... stupid?

Developer #2: If we could get to a computer, we could sign onto the World of Warcraft and give the boys the sword online!
Developer #1: I don't have a World of Warcraft account, do you?
Developer #2: No, I have a life!


Randy: Stan, Stan! I've been sent here to bring you this! This sword can completely drain his mana.
Stan: Dad, how did you get that!?
Randy: No time, just take it! Here! .... how, how do you hand something from one player to another?
Stan: Bring up your inventory screen, control i....
Randy: .... ok ....

Cartman: We did it guys. We're totally heroes.
Kyle: That was such uber pwnage.
Stan: I can't believe it's all over. What do we do now?
Cartman: What do you mean? Now we can finally play the game.
Kyle: Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment